When I thought about a habit that I would just LOVE everyone to have, my mind went immediately to KINDNESS.
Just imagine, what would your day be like if you had, say 50% more simple kindness in your life. Even 10% more kindness would have a tremendous impact, right?
Small acts of kindness are so powerful. You know this.
From a door held open, to a smile – one of those eyes connecting smiles with a stranger, to a deep unexpected hug for a child who needs one (and who doesn’t?) to a phone call to an elder to just say “hi.”
There are as many examples as there are moments.
Here’s some fascinating information on the power of kindness and its impact on our immune system.
So…after thinking that kindness would be a pretty great habit for folks to have, I wondered how to get that to happen. How do you get people to be kind? Not too easy.
Then my favorite quote popped into to my head – Be the change you wish to see in the world. Mahatma Gandhi. What a profound human being!
Be the change. Be kind, more kind, deliberately kind, consciously kind. Simply kind. And since I’m passionate about creating powerful success habits, the next thought was expected.
How about I create an opportunity for 1000 people to join forces and commit to 21 days of kindness? If 1000 of us commit to BEing the change in our own worlds, how powerful will that be? With 1000 acts of kindness, how many people can we impact? And how many people can they then impact? Because, you do know kindness is contagious, right?
Just imagine the impact of this contagious behavior on a family unit, then on a neighborhood. Extend that vision to a town or a spiritual community – a church family for instance. We can have tremendous impact on the world with simple acts of kindness.
From a perspective of kindness, we will develop the mindset of cooperation, creative problem solving and love of diversity. We will be more equipped for the challenges we face.
Social networks are ideally suited to this program.
So let’s begin our 21 Days of Kindness. Just sign on. If you’re a member of Facebook join the group/event. If not, just leave a comment here, so we can keep count of our efforts. 100 participants is the goal.
No rules and no real guidelines…just be kind at least once a day to somebody. Feel free to send messages, post pictures, videos and links to enhance our experience at the group page. Discussions would be wonderful to motivate and inspire each other.
The single most important commitment though is to do something kind for somebody each and every day for 21 days straight. At the end of 21 days you will have a powerful, life changing, world impacting new or improved habit to pass on to someone else.
Day 1 will be Saturday November 1st. Until then, practice :-).
I’ll start a list here of some sample acts of kindness, just to get your creative kindness juices flowing.
Please add more…the more the merrier, and the kinder we will be. ♫♫♫
Simple Acts of Kindness…just some samples
- Smile – sincere
- Holding doors
- Carrying bags for elders
- Breakfast in bed for loved one
- Phone call to family member
- Letter/card to friend, family expressing sincere care, concern, admiration, etc
- Offer to clean a space for an overworked Mom or busy teenager
- Flowers – unexpected
- A long walk with child, or a bike ride
- A kiss on forehead, just because
- Visit the sick in hospital
- Volunteer at shelter or community center
- Volunteer at Church, Synagogue, Mosque, etc
- Compliment a child – sincerely and substantively
- Help a child with homework
- Discuss or Listen (even better) to a child
- Give your partner 30 minutes of dedicated listening time
- Pay for someone’s meal at a restaurant – on stealth mode
- Send a financial gift to someone who needs it, unexpectedly and even anonymously
- Leave love notes in lunchboxes and book bags and briefcases and handbags
- Sending focused positive energy to someone
- Get family members, staff or friends to sign a card with love notes for someone
- Share a funny story or cartoon with someone who needs a laugh
- Send a thank-you note to a friend or family – for doing what they always do
Please add more…
Let’s have some fun and Be the kindness we wish to see in our world.
Wishing you Peace, Joy and Love,